Saturday 4 August 2007

Day 67

Today my head was in the clouds.

Actually all of me, plus the coach, the yellow peril, the campsite, in fact the whole world was in a cloud. And it sat on top of us all piggin’ day. I have decided never to commit a crime which would land me in jail, coz I would go stir crazy very quickly!

Not much happened today, obviously, except that I had some very nice home made clam chowder, courtesy of Owner Brenda, lovingly prepared, so I am told, with the clams that I digged up the other day. It was delish.

So, come 9.30 in the pm, I trogged off on my now habitual Oil Well Road moose safari.

Nothing going east on the road, as usual, but coming back I did see two mooses, about 200 yards away, heading towards some trees, which abutted the road. So, master hunter and stalker that I have become, I stopped the peril opposite the trees, turned off the engine, opened the window, anointed myself with bug spray, and waited for them to appear right where I knew they would. And waited, and waited and waited. And eventually……………nothing. I heard all sorts of noises, snorting and grunting and bushes movements ( Is that anything to do with our president?) but absolutely not a thing was forthcoming.

So, dejected, disheartened and as miserable as an Astros fan, I called it a day and drove to the main road. Not a mile further on, munching away on the left side of the road, a fully growed Mrs. Moose! So, I took a few pix, but it was almost dark, so I turned off the camera and sat and watched. A few vehicles went roaring past, and she flinched nervously a couple of times, but nothing was going to deter her from supper.

A delightfully pleasant and rewarding end to a miserable day.

I also saw a fishing boat charter company named “Afishunt Charters”

Some are pathetic, aren’t they?

Wildlife watch today was the aforementioned mooses, and two bald eagles, early on, flying low over the campsite.

No comments: